Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Birth, Death & Marriage



What can I say about this last week? Hell where do I start??
Actually it all started kinda smooth, with me catching this very bus only in reverse…that is taking me away from home… that was last Thursday…but to give you an idea of the state I was in going into this, I should mention that I’d only been home 2 weeks having flown south to spend 17 days with younger daughter when she gave birth 11 days too early… and since then I have felt like a rabbit chased by friendly ferrets… but I’m more inclined think they were  skitszo ferrets after my sanity…

The first night was peaceful enough, as peaceful as it can be when staying with a daughter on the verge of pulling her hair out over last minute wedding plans and two hyper granddaughters who were intent on pulling me a dozen different directions at once…

The humidity and tropical storms brewing didn’t help either but all in all everything was under control.

Friday younger daughter and new bub arrived and that night was ‘hen’s night’ which had a red theme complete with crazy games and lots of wine… I survived only by going home early with newest granddaughter in my care. I slept on the lounge that night at my daughters & woke up with a crippling backache that hounded me with pain & back spasms for three days.

The weekend was filled with shopping and more last minute wedding plans and even though temps hovered near 40 & humidity rose to the high 90’s we still kept up our spirits and retreated to the comfort of aircon at every opportunity.

By Tuesday however the storms broke in a raging tempest that lasted the rest of the week, complete with flash floods & road closures… with each rain filled day taking us closer & closer to the day of my daughter’s wedding.

Monday I received a phone call from a close friend who told me, without actually telling me
that our mutual friend and mentor had passed away. I knew before any words were spoken. Late last year my mother-mentor, the crone in my small circle of women-friends, had pulled me aside and with wise grey eyes told me that she was ready… that her time was near to end and she was ready. Grief & fear sprang to my eyes at her words and she admonished me; it is the way of things, she said.

Then she told me not to wear black to her service… I’ll haunt your dreams if you do, she promised; I’ve always loved how purple looks on you… wear purple

So on the Friday, for her service, I wore purple.
And the rain continued in fast n heavy unpredictable monsoonal squalls.

The next day, Saturday, the weather continued in the same way…. and the day had come for me to walk my daughter down the aisle. There would be no beach-side nuptials with the ocean as a picturesque  backdrop as planned…we had to go with the contingency and hold the wedding in the function room.
Nevertheless it was a beautiful ceremony complete with tears, smiles & laughter…oh and one vomiting child.

My daughter looked beautiful and my son in law very handsome… love & happiness flowed from their eyes.

We ended the weekend with a family feast at the club where other son in law was nearly given food poisoning by rotten fish… and by the Monday when everyone had to leave we enjoyed a beach side picnic before goodbyes were said.

Monday night I arrived home, feeling both shell-shocked and emotional drained & replete…
definitely a roller coaster start to the year!


****

 


No comments:

Post a Comment