Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Predawn Silhouette



Predawn Silhouette

Thoughts flow from moment to moment-
- 5:24 AM and sleep evades;
darkness still cloisters my world
rain spatters on the rooftop in scattered showers and
splattered downfall, symphony heralding  the mood of the morning
a rain-day, wet and grey, where dampness permeates the air…
a pre-winter dampness that steeps into my tobacco, curls my hair to impossible tangles;
Increments of light filter through weary lace curtains, first too faint to see
I now notice hazy tree-shapes  still in predawn silhouette and the corner of a dirty brick building;
stained bricks no amount of rain will clean…


6:20 Am… first light…kookaburras laughingly greeting the morning
as rain and cloud and tones of cold grey seep in through the window, my portal
to the world and the untouchables beyond; what epic adventures unfold beyond my domain?
A little color now… cream-stained bricks… light sky surreal white… trees deep olive-grey…
the man downstairs wakes, I hear him start the shower, that whining that passes through aged pipes. And just like that I hear him get out again, as waterpipes complain once more. Always amazed am I by the neighbours micro-showers… does he even get wet?

Outside now lighter than my room where dusty shadows cling to cluttered corners, piles of books
look almost like city buildings in the gloom… pedestal fan a monument to energy use, and the poor design of this unit… only two opening windows allow little airflow…  and suddenly the cottage comes to mind… the cottage with its treescape and birdsong and windows flung open wide… I lived there, for a time …. its seems so long ago now….
Sharonlee©26-May-12

8 comments:

  1. ah...i can feel the yearning for fresh air to breathe...for nature and color in the morning mist...funny how familiar we get with all the sounds in a house...usually i get up at 5 when the fam is still sleeping and love those wee morning hours when the pulse of the world still goes slowly...nice write sharon...thanks for sharing your morning with us..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cludia... my fondest memories are of farm living; and I agree, to listen to the pulse of the world quicken and harken to the new day... the sleepy birds...the bossy hens... sigh... I find that lifestyle again one day.

      Peace

      Delete
  2. smiles...love all the texture of the morning...rains makes me drift in and out of sleep and just want to lay there a bit longer...smiles....nice walk through of its transformation a bit in the second...but the city of books, ha i like that...i always have a stack by the bed....nice little heart tug in the end on the cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah my cottage... long story why I had to move from there after nine years. Surrounded bt trees... no neighbors... no dirty brick buildings in sight... a three-bay window with a view to make one sigh.

      So nice to see Brian.

      Delete
  3. Such gorgeous images as you allow us to share your waking-up impressions with us. I'm guessing you're Down Under and it's so fun to realize it's winter somewhere. Although winter made a surprise showing here with a dusting of snow today. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I am Down Under, born & raised, mostly a country girl.
      This Summer was hot humid and dry, no wet season at all. I'm in the tropics, so this chilly rain so late in Autumn is a blessing.

      Peace & Thank You

      Delete
  4. This is lovely and has a real stream of consciousness feel about it throughout ... I can't help but notice you're a Sharon too (I use my initials only but my first name is actually is Sharon) I find it's not a very common name amongst poets, you?

    http://aleapingelephant.blogspot.ca/2012/05/drinking-from-mania-cup.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sharon...so nice to make your aquaintence.
    Glad you enjoyed this. Now that I know about it a good deal of my writing is stream of consciousness.
    I am a Sharon, yes, but have not come across many. Now Pisces, I have meet loads and loads of Pisces who are poets!

    Peace

    ReplyDelete