Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hindered by Hindsight, Ruined in Retrospect – A Poetic Ramble

Hindered by Hindsight, Ruined in Retrospect – A Poetic Ramble

 retrospect
hindsight
… do they serve a purpose
in my life…your… life?
… except to remind us
of those moments we’d rather forget –
-moments we’d rather  bury six feet under with a great big mother-f
oops sorry, with a tree planted on top…

self-examination never stops
… nor do the self-incriminations

all the what if I’s… if only they
would my life be different today…

if only… if only
I’d walked the other way…
talked till the end of day
and not just passed by…
with the winds restless sway
too late now… to ever say;

**

I jumped from a moving train once –
- as it turned out
it wasn’t the most sensible thing I’ve done…
… abhorrent   as I see it now
the then of young lovers parting
their embrace too juvenilely impassioned
to leave the train in graceful fashion
with a wistful smile and half-raised hand
a young  girl parting with her boy-man…
…no I left the moment a few moments too late
and jumped from a moving train
to land in an inelegant heap
on dry red dirt that saw little rain….
I never saw him again, despite hot wet promises
whispered in pre-dawn silence
when there are no witnesses…
- a lasting reminder of that parting
skinned from knee to shin
bruised without and within…

**

I sat on an  8 story ledge, once…
… I don’t know why… guess I was ready to fly
on the fumes from the alcohol I’d consumed…
…. drowned my fear of heights, it seems
at least ‘till I woke from wine-fed dreams
and realised how perilous my perch had been…

… I took most of my clothes off in public, once-
-as a dare to prove I didn’t care
for ‘the man’ and mankind’s decrees …
... in hot defence of my belief … I yelled I AM FREE
and ditched my clothes with no class or dignity
and tripped the light fantastic in Town Square Fountain…
… I failed to see 2 sets of feet walking the beat
…. but they saw me…

I held a dying hand, once-
… watching with hypnotic fear the rise and fall
of weakened chest… slower… slower…
… slower… stop.
I saw a near-headless body, torn skin… flesh bloody
… I stared in a war-hero’s soft milky eyes
over & over he rasped goodbye
to friends… long gone…  I cried
every time he started that litany of names….

I saw a baby born, more than once-
- sweet bonding moment… to hand a mother her still-sticky child
and see their souls bond in that moment of connection …
… and once… I saw a baby abandoned… on hospital fire-escape
… poorly wrapped and still slick with birth-fluids… no mother
… no name… or story… Baby Girl we called her,
we had no rights to honour her with a name….
- it broke my heart, all the same-
- softly in her ear I called her Cherub….
she had the deepest darkest eyes
and she survived…


… I danced naked on a high cliff, once-
…-no sight nor sound that a human world existed
I danced ‘round  the leaping fire… lost to all but the burning desire
to be me… to feel free…. liberated from life’s restrictions
 unhindered by hindsight and retrospective contradictions …
free to be one
 with light of moon and kiss of sun
and surging ebb of sea…

Sharonlee©1-Jun-12

8 comments:

  1. The abandoned baby broke my heart, but I am so glad "Cherub" survived. And no, it seems self-examination never stops...and I have mixed feelings myself about looking back. I appreciated your reflections and read your vivid words more than once! Thanks for joining Poetry Jam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speechless! Poignant and profound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...this is quite the journey through the moment....some of them intense in nature...as you dance the edge...some defiant...a few i can def relate too as well...and some tender ones too...this is a really strong write...

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing poem! Sounds like it's been quite a wild ride, whether reckless or liberating or heart-breaking...I think it's good to let those dreaded "what ifs" just fall by the wayside, it's much to easy to dwell on them and forget to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now, missy, you sound like someone I should be interviewing. Your life has been FULL of adventure!!!!!! Love this poem!!!! It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Extremely interesting read. I love the last stanza - here's to freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow Sharon! What a powerful, freeing full feelng poem. Love it!
    Thank you for sharing it. And yes, what if's are pretty useless. Excellent starting point

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh me so full and free minded write....I was glued.....

    ReplyDelete